Mass has been celebrated regularly in the town since 1930, first in the Public Library and later in a room over a Corn Merchant's shop! During the Second World War, a large number of Americans were stationed in the district; to serve their needs, Mass was celebrated in the local cinema. After 1950, a small local hall was fitted up as a temporary Chapel.
The Torrington Catholics were hungry for their own Church, and they searched constantly for a suitable site. In 1964 land was was made available and their efforts were rewarded. The new Church was built on a prominent hillside and enjoys glorious views of the North Devon Countryside. It was opened by the Bishop of Plymouth on 25th March 1965 and a plaque commemorates this day. The Church fits wonderfully well into this rural setting looking across open farmland towards Huntshaw wood.
Many generous parishioners under the enthusiastic guidance of Father Day from Bideford, raised funding for the church construction. The bell was presented by the Archdeacon of Appledore, as an ecumenical gesture. The applewood candlesticks were made at Buckfast Abbey. The statues of Our Lady and St Joseph on either side of the Chancel are of Italian carved wood and were given by the late Sir Maurice and Lady Lacey. The mosaic representations of the Stations of the Cross were designed, and made by Bronwen Gordon, who was was a close friend of parishioner and long-term supporter of the church, Grania Luttman-Johnson.
In 2020 the Church was refurbished, given a renewed entrance porch, a toilet with disabled facilities and a modernised kitchen, a larger Meeting-Room and disabled access to a functional outside patio area see here for a photographic slideshow of the 2020 restoration work.
The Holy family Church, Torrington is the only Catholic Church between Bideford and Okehampton and it serves a growing number of Catholics living in the rural communities between these two towns.